dinsdag 17 november 2009

My red dress

Pfoe! I've been very busy the past weeks, finishing everything in time for the wedding. But I made it. (It's a miracle!)

For my dress is used the pattern of the left dress. It's a pattern of a Knip (Dutch pattern magazine, like Burda) of 1974.
The fabric I used was a rather thick synthetic, from a second-hand dress. (My mom knew what it was called... I'll come back to that.)
I also wanted to reuse the beads, that where used as the original decoration, but in the end I decided they looked too cheap.
But looking at my dress, without any decoration, I found it was too plain.
So, how to decorate? By then, I had only a few days left until the wedding!
Well, that should be enough to sew a ribbon on a dress, right?
When I had time to shop for the ribbon, it was one day before the wedding, and as always, when time runs out, I could not find what I was looking for...




What I find, however, where very fine ribbons, in two shades of grey. I had decided to combine the red dress with grey, so I hoped I could use these as a decoration.
I bought 10 meters of both colours. That would be enough to... braid it.
I made the ribbons into a four strand brand. But the band was still very fine. Four of these bands next to each other, however, gave a very nice effect.
To keep these bands in place, I ironed them on a strip of interfacing and made a sort of belt from it.
As a fastener, I made a fabric-covered button. For the fabric I used some leftovers of the ribbons and weaved it.
The last photo shows a close-up from the belt. I really like the result. It's a nice idea to use for more accessories.


I don't have any pictures to show of the wedding-dress. Hopefully they follow soon!

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Hoi hoi, ik schrijf de reactie gewoon in het nederlands hoor, dat is al moeilijk genoeg, haha.
    Gelukkig kan ik wel engels lezen.

    Ik had je trouwens nog nooit gezegd, dat je een geweldige jurk heb gecreeerd, zo even in een paar dagen tijd.

    Mijn foto van de jurk komt er zo aan.
    De echte trouw foto's moeten we nog even op wachten.

    Groetjes je echte schoonzus Fem

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Heel netjes gemaakt! En wat een origineel idee om die riem te vlechten!

    Ben benieuwd naar een foto met JOUW in de jurk, i.p.v. de paspop :D

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen