maandag 9 augustus 2010

Festivals in bathing suits

Last saterday I've been to CastleFest, together with a friend, my brother and sister-in-law and their two children. Sadly, the weather was not so good (it ended up raining, most of the day).
However, like I said in my previous post, I'd made costumes for me and my friend: Victorian bathing suits.

Bathing suits are only worn since the beginning of the 19th century, when the rich people flocked the seaside for recreation. The first bathing suits for women (before 1800) where just long gowns, with weights sewn in the hem, to prevent them from floating up and showing bare skin.
After 1800 a revolution showed in the swimwear. Though the base of the suit still was a long gown with long sleeves, a long trouser was worn underneath, so there was no more fear of the fabric floating up and showing bare skin.
Toward the middle of the 19th century, swimwear looked a lot like the revolutionary look Emily Bloomer had in mind for women to wear: "Tukish" pants and a "paletot" (some sort of short jacket).
In the second half of the 19th century the pants and sleeves eventually shorten, but stockings still covered the legs.
After the turn of the century people became more active, and women where in need of swimwear that allowed them to move more freely. The new suits no longer hid the female forms and as soon as 1915 they where skin-tight. Since the 1920's they started to use jersey for the swimsuits, making them more and more look like the swimsuits we still use today.
(source: victoriana.com)

For this costume I got my inspiration from the swimsuits around 1890. Aside from the shape, I allowed myself some freedom in the materials, using the very affordable cotton of Ikea and linen I got from a friend (thank you!). But the result was really good, if you ask me...





2 opmerkingen:

  1. Wat zijn de foto's mooi gelukt he....
    Ik vond jullie kostuum ook echt geweldig...
    Dat heeft mij ook op idee gebracht voor volgend jaar, voor de kids.

    hopelijk hebben we volgend jaar weer beter weer...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Ej Anja,

    De kostuums zijn super gaaf geworden, en het streepje van de Ikea komt zeer goed tot zijn recht!!!!
    En nog bedankt voor het afmaken van alle ondersteuningsvormen in het MOMU, je hebt geen idee hoe gelukkig je me daarmee gemaakt heb!

    Liefs, Marieke

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen